Paruppu Purana Poli is a traditional sweet dish prepared during festivals like Bogi and Avani Avittam. Apart from festivals, I used to make this yummy sweet dish often because my first Grand daughter likes it so much. It is always a pleasure to make for our kids especially when they like it so much. Many of us think doing Poli is a very tough task, but believe me if we enjoy and do it, then I bet, it is very simple and very scrumptious too. A very soft and delicious sweet dish. In my mom-in-law's native, for events like marriages tey serve the purana poli and add generous amount of ghee as topping and also serve payasam on top of it.Preparation and Yield:
|Preparation time||30 mins|
|Cooking Time||45 mins|
|Recipe Category||Sweet Varieties|
|Recipe Cuisine||South Indian|
Ingredients for OuterCover:
|Maida / All purpose flour||1 Cup|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Gingelly Oil||2 tablespoon|
Ingredients for Puranam:
|Channa Dal||1/2 Cup|
|Grated Jaggery||1/2 Cup|
|Grated Coconut||2 tablespoon|
- Cook the channa dhal in pressure cooker till it is soft.
- Grind the channa dhal along with grated cocunut and cardamon without adding water to fine paste
- Then add the jaggery to the mixer and give a pulse and mix it with the ground dal paste. Puranam is ready now.
- Mix the maida with oil and turmeric and add little water. The dough should be like chapati dough. Keep it aside for atleast 30 mins.
- Make small balls from the dough.
- Spread each ball like Poori using hand. Or you can also place the ball of dough in a plastic sheet greased with oil
- Cover the ball of dough with another cover greased with oil.
- Place a flat plate on top of the ball of dough and press it nicely to get a thin poori
- Now, keep the purnam in the middle of the rolled puri
- Close the puri with stuffed puranam and remove the excess dough
- Again using a plate or using hand spread the stuffed poli dough in such a way that the puranam is spread evenly
- Then heat a pan and add the rolled poli in the pan and add little ghee and cook one side.
- Turn other side and add some ghee and cook it. Remove the cooked poli from pan. Repeat the same for the remaining poli dough
- The delicious Purana Poli is ready to serve hot.