|Preparation Time||10 mins|
|Cooking Time (Cumin Seeds)||20 mins|
|Raw Rice||3/4 Cup|
|Jeera (Cumin Seeds)||1 teaspoon|
|Moong dal||1/4 cup|
|Whole black pepper||1 teaspoon|
|Pepper Powder||1 teaspoon|
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan, add moong dal
- Roast the moongdhal in the dry pan till it turns golden brown color
- Add the fried moongdal with the raw rice for rinsing.
- Cook the raw rice along with the moongdhal and salt in the pressure cooker by adding 1/2 up extra water than normal rice cooking and for 2 extra wistles in the cooker than normal. This will make the rice smashed.
- Heat the pan, add 1 teaspoon on ghee and add the broken cashews and fry till they turn golden brown color. Take this out and keep it aside in a plate.
- In the pan, pour the remaining ghee and add the cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds begins to sputter add the whole black pepper and pepper powder. Fry for some seconds.
- Add the smashed cooked rice with dhal and add the fried cashews. Stir the rice evenly to spread the pepper and salt and swtich off the flame.
- Now the Venn pongal is ready to serve hot. You can serve this with coconut chutney/sambar