Pulikachal is an authentic brahmin recipe. Its made using Tamarind & the dhal powders along with red chilli. I am falling in love with its aroma, texture, spicy, flavour and the tangy taste of pulikachal again and again. We mix pulikachal to make Puliyodharai rice, which i belive is called as Pulihora rice in Andhra. I would love to use this as a pickle for the curd rice and the side dish to Dosa.
|Pulikachal / Pulikachal Rice Mix / Puliyodharai Rice/Pulihora Rice|
Tamarind - 1 big lemon size (preferably the old tamarind)
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Salt - To Taste
Urdhal - 2 teaspoon
Coriander seeds - 2 teaspoon
Curryleaves - few
Fenugreek seeds/Vendhayam - 1/2 teaspoon
Red chillies - 15
Gingelly oil - 4 tablespoon
Channa dhal - 1 teaspoon
Peanut - 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Hing - 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - few
- Soak the tamarind in water and extract the juice and keep it aside
- Heat the pan and dry fry the urdhal,fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds and curry leaves and keep it aside
- Pour one teaspoon of an oil in a pan and fry the red chillies. Make sure that the red chillies are not getting burnt. Grind it to powder(dry) along with the above fried ingredients
- Now in the pan pour the gingelly oil and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard starts to sputter add the channa dhal and peanut and fry until they change their color to golden brown colour. Now add Turmeric powder, Hing , Curry leaves and fry once.
- Now add the tamarind extract, turmeric and add the salt. Let the mixture boils till the raw smell of the tamarind goes off.
- Now add the ground powder to the mixture and cook it in a low flame till its consistency becomes thick.Finally add the grated jaggery and then switch off the flame.
Puliyodharai Rice / Pulihora Rice
- Boil the required amount of rice in the usual manner.
- Add a proportionate measure of Puli Kachal to the boiled rice and mix well
- Use clean and dry spoon. You can use this Puli kachal for more than two weeks if properly cooked.
- This can be served with Appalam/Pappadam/Vadam.
|Pulikachal / Pulikachal Rice Mix / Puliyodharai Rice / Pulihora Rice|