|Chenai (Yam) Kadi|
|Preparation Time||10 mins|
|Cooking Time||30 mins|
|Chenai (Yam)||1/4 Kg|
|Channa dal*||3 tablespoon|
|Ginger||1 inch piece|
|Grated Coconut||1 tablespoon|
|Tamarind||a small gooseberry size|
|Mustard Seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|Ghee/cooking oil||1 tablespoon|
- Soak the tamarind in water for 5 minutes and extract the juice.
- Chop the chenai into small cubes. Take the chopped chenai and channa dal in a vessel. Add water to soak the chenai and add a pinch of turmeric and take this to the pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook the channa dhal along with chenai and keep it aside. Give minimum 3 whistles for Chenai to cook in the pressure cooker.
- Pour the oil in the pan and add the mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds starts to sputter add green chillies and crushed ginger and fry for 10 seconds
- Add tamarind extract and salt and allow it to boil for 5 minutes to get rid off the raw smell of tamarind juice. Then add the cooked dhal and chenai in a pan and mix well and allow it to boil in medium flame for 5 minutes
- Add the grated cocunut and switch off the flame. Allow the mixture to cool for sometime and then add lemon juice to adjust the taste.
- The scrumptious Chenai (Yam) Kadi is ready to serve with hot rice and a spoon of ghee