A pickle made using Vadu Mangai or Mavadu (tiny baby tender mango) is very popular in tamil nadu. Unlike other pickle Mavadu pickle is little watery. The mavadu water is the mixture of salt, spice and the tender mango extract (over a period of time) gives an awesome taste and flavor I can eat only curd rice for a complete day if i have Mavadu
This is a seasonal product. You will get Mavadu only in March-April. The preparation of this pickle is very simple and quick.
|Vadumangai Pickle / Mavadu / Baby tender Mango pickle|
1 kg(16 cups - Refer the picture
for exact measurement for a cup)
|Salt||1 Cup (Powdered Salt)|
|Chilli Powder||100 gms(1 cup)|
|Turmeric Powder||1.5 teaspoon|
|Gingelly Oil||4 tablespoon|
|Mustard Seeds||2 tablespoon|
- Clean the vadumangaai and keep it aside in a vessel. I would recommend to clean the vadumangaai with a cloth. If you clean it using the water, then make sure that it is completely dry before you start the further processing. If its wet then it well get rotten soon. To this add turmeric powder, oil and salt and shake the mangoes well for the mixture to mix with the vadumangaai and keep it for a day
- Grind mustard seeds to powder and mix it with the red chilli powder and add these to the vadumangaai.
- Shake the mangoes (or using the laddle) well for the mixture to mix with the vadumangaai
- Keep the mixture for 5-6 days and pickle itself produce water. We should not add any water. Twice a day (morning & evening) stir the vadumangai for the uniform spread of the mixture. Once you see the water (usually after 4-5 days) you can stop the stirring.
- Now the delicious vadumangaai is ready to serve with Curd Rice