Spinach is one of the healthy greens we should often include in our diet. We should make a practice of including spinach atleast once a week. We can make many variety of dishes using spinach. Keerai Kuzhambu is one of the variety which is a very delicious main course with rice.
Preparation and Yield:
|Preparation time||15 mins|
|Cooking Time||30 mins|
|Recipe Cuisine||South Indian|
|Spinach||250gms / 1 Bunch|
|Turmeric Powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Tamarind||1 small lemon size|
|Channa Dal||1 tablespoon|
|Coriander Seeds||1 tablespoon|
|Grated Coconut||3 tablespoon|
|Mustard Seeds||1 teaspoon|
- Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice
- Wash and pressure cook the thurdal with a pinch of turmeric in pressure cooker. Once the dal is cooked and pressure is released from cooker, take it out and mash it nicely and keep it aside
- Pluck the leaves from spinach and wash it nicely twice or thrice under running water. Chop the spinach finely and take it in a sauce pan and add 1/2 cup of water along with turmeric powder and allow the spinach to cook
- Heat another pan and add oil. Add the grinding ingredients except coconut and fry them till the dals turn golden brown color. Take the grinding ingredients to the mixer along with grated coconut
- Grind all these ingredients to a nice paste and set that aside. Meanwhile, spinach would have nicely cooked. Using a whisk or back of ladle or with Mathu mash the spinach nicely. Traditionally, we use Keerai Mathu to mash the keerai. But many of us are not having mathu nowadays so we can use whisk as an alternate. Now spinach is cooked and we are going to keep that aside
- In a sauce pan, add tamarind extract along with salt and hing and bring it to boil and allow it to boil till the raw smell of the tamarind. Then add the cooked and mashed spinach and stir well
- When the spinach-tamarind mixture starts to boil, add mashed dal and mix well. Then add the ground mixture and give a good stir and bring it to boil
- Meanwhile, in another pan, add oil and when the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and when the mustard seeds starts to sputter, switch off the flame and add the seasoned ingredients to the keerai kuzhambu and switch off the flame.
- Yummy Keerai kuzhambu is now ready to serve with hot steaming rice!!! Relish Keerai Kuzhambu with toasted(Sutta) appalam.