Rice - 1 cup (Pacha arasi)
Grated Jaggery - 3/4 cup
Fenugreek Seeds/Vendhayam - 1/4 teaspoon
Urad dal - 1/4 teaspoon
Cardamom (powdered)- 1/2 teaspon
- Heat the pan (thick bottom pan) and fry the rice till the color of the rice change to light brown
- Add the fenugreek seeds and urad dal with the rice and soak them in the water for 30 mins
- After 30 mins rinse and drain the water and grind the rice,fenugreek seeds,urad dal mixture to the fine paste. Dont add water during grinding.
- Add the Jagari now with the grinded rice and grind it till the consistency of the batter look like a dosa batter
- Add the cardamom powder to the mixture
- Heat the oil in the thick bottom pan (ennai chatti). Once the oil is hot, pour one ladle (small kuzhi karandi) of appam batter and deep fry it. Keep the flame in medium.
- Now the delicious appam is ready.