Pachai Payiru kozhukattai (Green Moongdal Kozhukattai) is a mouth-watering recipe and specially made on the auspicious day of Vinayaka Chaturti(Ganesh Chaturti). In my hometown, this is one of the main neivedhyam in most of the temples. After pooja, I always visit to the nearest Krishna temple and Suchindram Anchaneyar temple on vinayaka chaturti day and always I got this greengram purna kozhukattai as neivedhyam. The kozhukattai which they give in temple as prasadam is usually very big than we do in our homes. Those are good memories from Nagercoil. Here in chennai, Thengai purana kozhukattai is the special and most important neivedhyam. But surely I do this every chaturti as a practice. Lets see how to make this yummy kozhukattai for Lord Ganesha.
|Preparation Time||5 mins|
|Cooking Time||40 mins|
Ingredients for Puranam
|GreenGram Dal||1 Cup*|
|Grated Jaggery||1.5 Cups|
|Chopped / Grated Coconut||2 tablespoon|
|Cardamom Powder||1/4 teaspoon|
For Ingredients and Method of preparation of Kozhukattai outercover, click here
- Add the green gram in the pan and fry for sometime till we get good aroma and the green gram turns brown color.
- Cook the above fried gram in the pressure cooker and allow it to cook for 3 whistles. Strain the excess water from the cooked green gram
- Add the strained green moong dal to mixer. Then grind it lightly in a mixer.to a smooth powder.
- Heat a pan, add grated jaggery and water to just soak the jaggery. In few minutes, the jaggery gets completely dissolved in water
- When the jaggery dissolves completely in water, strain it to remove dust and sand particles. Add the strained jaggery juice again in the pan, and keep it in flame.
- When the the jaggery juice starts to boil and become thick, add green gram mixture, grated coconut, cardamom powder and stir well continuously till it roll like a ball and does not stick the sides of the pan.
- This is the correct consistency to remove from flame. Fry few cashews and add it to the puranam. Take the pooranam in a plate and allow it to cool off. Make small balls out of the pooranam and keep it in a plate
- Prepare the outer cover of the kozhukattai as mentioned here. Kozhukattai Mavu outcover preparation
- Take some oil in a bowl and take little oil in hand and then take little rice flour ball and make it like a cup and then in the middle of it add the pooranam ball and then close the flour and keep it aside. Repeat the same for rest of the flour and pooranam.
- Place it in the idly plate and pressure cook it for 5 mins. Repeat the same for rest of the pooranam and kozhukattai dough.
- The yummy Pachai Payiru poorana kozhukkati is ready for Neivedhyam on the auspicious occassion of Vinayaka Chaturti and then server it hot.
|Green Gram Kozhukattai(Pachhai Payiru Kozhukattai)|