You can find Idly milaga podi (Chutney powder) in almost every house in Tamil Nadu as its a traditional and best dish for Idly/Dosa. There are many variations in Idly Mulaga podi and one of the commonly used method is given below.
|Idly Milgai podi / Idly podi(Chutney powder)|
|Preparation Time||5 mins|
|Cooking Time||20 mins|
|Mustard Seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Red Chilli||1 handfull|
|Urad dal (Ulatham paruppu)||3/4 cup|
|Chana dal (Kadalai paruppu)||1/4 cup|
|Asafoetida (Hing)||1 tea spoon|
|Salt||1 tea spoon (or to your taste)|
- Heat little oil in pan, and add mustard seeds when the oil is hot. When the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add urdhal and channa dhal.Fry the Urad dal and Chana dal in the kadai (pan) along with asafotedia till the color of the dal changes to light brown. Keep the flame in medium while frying.
- Add the 1 tea spoon oil in the pan and fry the Chill till the colour of the chilli changes to light brown. Keep the flame in low so that it wont burn the chilli. Keep the fried chillies aside to cool before grinding.
- Grind the fried red chilli to a fine powder.
- Add the fried dals,Salt and grind it. Make sure that you don't grind it too fine. It would be good if you grind it little coarse
- The Idly podi is ready to serve with hot idly
|Idly Milgai podi / Idly podi / Chutney powder|