Rice - 2 cups
Grated Jaggery - 1.5 Cups
Sesame Seeds - 1 handfull
Chopped Cocunut - 3 tablespoon
Cardamom - 1/2 teaspoon
- Soak the rice and rinse it in water for about 30 mins and then spread the rice in a towel till it becomes dry. Usually it will take only about 10 mins for the rice to dry.
- Soak the sesame seeds in water for 30mins
- Now grind the rice in a mixer to a nice powder.
- Add jaggery in a pan with 1/2 cup of water and when it dissolves, strain the jaggery water to avoid sand
- Again boil the jaggery water along with cocunut and sesame seeds and keep stirring it until the jaggery comes to one string consistency. When we take a drop of jaggery juice in a finger and rub it with another finger, it should form like a string. This is the correct consistency for the jaggery juice.
- Now remove the jaggery juice from flame . Pour the jaggery juice into the rice flour and mix it well along with cardamom powder.
- Keep this mixture aside for atleast one day
- The next day, heat the required oil in a heavy bottomed pan
- Make gooseberry size small balls of the vella seedai mixture and drop around 5-6 balls once the oil is hot.
- Deep fry the seedai till it becomes golden color. Repeat the process for the rest of vella seedai flour.
- The Delicious Vella Seedai is ready for Neivedhyam for krishnajayanthi as well as for serving.
Vella Seedai - Final Pagu Mixture