You can find Green Peas in many of the north indian dishes like aloo mutter, panneer mutter, etc. We, south indians use more of the Dried Peas than the Green Peas which we use only to add in dishes like upma. Here is the yummy recipe made of green peas - Green peas rice (Pacha pattani sadham) which i am sure you will like it. This is not the same like peas pulav. Please try and let me know.
Green Peas - 1 /2 cup
Cooked Rice - 1 cup (preferably basmathi rice)
Onion - 1
Tomato - 1 big size
Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
Salt - to taste
Grated coconut - 1 teaspoon
Ginger - 1 small piece
Garlic - 2-3 flakes
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilli - 1
Cooking oil - 2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Urid dhal - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - few
- Boil the Green Peas and keep it aside
- Finely chop the onion and Tomato and keep it aside
- Put the red chilli, cumin seeds, grated coconut and ginger in the mixer and grind it to the fine paste
- In a heavy bottomed pan add the oil and heat the pan. Once the oil gets heat add the mustered seeds. When the mustared seeds started to sputter add the urid dhal and curry leaves and fry them till the color of the dhal change to golden brown.
- Add the chopped onion and fry them till the onion becomes transparent. Then add the cooked green peas and salt and cook them for about 5 minutes in the medium flame.
- Add the chopped tomato, turmeric and grinded paste into the pan and cook it till the raw smell of the masala is removed (you can fry them in the pan for about 5 -10 minutes in the low flame)
- Switch off the flame and add the rice to the mixture and mix it gently.