I born and bought up in the southern part of tamil nadu and i dont remember seeing kovakkai in those places and hence i never get a chance to cook/eat kovakkai during those days. But later when i came to chennai i happend to see kovakkai as a common vegitable and got a chance to taste kovakkai in some of my relatives home ... mmm.. its a yummy vegitable and i and my family really liked it and now it becomes one of the regular curry in our food. Kovakkai is not what I would call my most favourite vegetable, but it's allright enough eaten once a week. Kovakkai has a good medicinal properties too.. its low-calorie, rich in minerals and B complex and, best of all, its low-glycemic index makes it good for diabetics
Kovak'kai' is good for making curry.. not the kovai'pazham' . When you cut the kovakkai if you see more reddish color inside, then it wont be good. Slicing the kovaikkai also an interesting thing. Some like to cut in thin round slices as shown below and some like to cut it in vertical pieces. Both are good if it cooked properly. Allow some time to cook this vegitable in the low flame in the oil which gives an wonderful dish and i can guarantee that your family will love it. Try this recipe and let me know.
Kovakkai Curry Ingredients:
Kovakkai - 1/2 KG
Red Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Salt - To taste
Turmeric - a pinch
Oil - 1 teaspoon
Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Urdhal - 1 teaspoon
- Finely chop kovakkai and keep it aside
- Heat the oil in the pan, and add mustard seeds . When the mustard seeds start to sputter, add the urdhal and fry till it becomes golden brown color
- Now add the chopped kovakkai and add turmeric, salt and red chilli
- Add 1 Cup of water and cover the pan for the kovakkai to cook completely. Check the water content in a regular interval.
- Once the water is completely evoporated and the kovakkai is completely cooked, add a little oil and keep the flame low for the kovakkai to fry nicely. The more the time you allow the kovakkai to fry in the oil the more crispier and tastier kovakkai curry you will get. Make sure that you dont overburn the kovakkai. Check it in regular interval.
- The yummy Kovakkai Curry is ready to serve
To be honest this curry requires more oil frying the kovaikkai which is not good for regular consumption as its a health issue. You can try Kovakkai Thuvaran which is made using very less oil compared to Kovakkai curry.