Kovakkai Curry Ingredients:
Kovakkai - 1/2 KG
Red Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
Salt - To taste
Turmeric - a pinch
Oil - 1 teaspoon
For Seasoning:Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Urdhal - 1 teaspoon
- Finely chop kovakkai and keep it aside
- Heat the oil in the pan, and add mustard seeds . When the mustard seeds start to sputter, add the urdhal and fry till it becomes golden brown color
- Now add the chopped kovakkai and add turmeric, salt and red chilli
- Add 1 Cup of water and cover the pan for the kovakkai to cook completely. Check the water content in a regular interval.
- Once the water is completely evoporated and the kovakkai is completely cooked, add a little oil and keep the flame low for the kovakkai to fry nicely. The more the time you allow the kovakkai to fry in the oil the more crispier and tastier kovakkai curry you will get. Make sure that you dont overburn the kovakkai. Check it in regular interval.
- The yummy Kovakkai Curry is ready to serve
Tip: If you have a microwave oven, then cook the kovakkai in the microwave for about 5 mins with little water and fry the same in the oil as mentioned in the method above.
To be honest this curry requires more oil frying the kovaikkai which is not good for regular consumption as its a health issue. You can try Kovakkai Thuvaran which is made using very less oil compared to Kovakkai curry.