Tomato Rice is one of the famous variety rice in tamil nadu / south inda and one can cook it easily and quickly. There is always a debate on whether tomato is a fruit or a vegitable but we need not go into that detail. Whatever it is, Tomatos are good for health and has lot of medical properties. It prevents Diarrhea and reduces high blood pressure. It also good for Coronary Heart Heath and prevents / heals certain typs of cancer. The tomato rice can be made in many different ways one such method is given below.
Cooked rice - 1 cup
Tomato - 2 nos
Onion - 1 no
Red chilli - 1 (or 2 based on your spicy requirement)
Mustered seed - 1/2 tea spoon
Urad dhal - 1 tea spoon
Oil - 2 teaspoon
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste)
Garlic flakes - 1 or 2
Ginger - very small piece
Curry leaves - few
- Cut the tomato and onion. Add red chillis, garlic flakes, ginger and grind them in the mixer and keep it aside
- Heat the pan and add two teaspoon of oil. Add the mustard seeds when the oil gets heat. Once the seeds started to sputter add urad dhal and fry it till it change the color to light brown.
- Add the grinded mixture in the pan and add salt , turmeric
- Allow the mxiture to cook for 5 mins.
- Add few curry leaves and add the cooked rice and mix it gently.