Whenever there is a tomato season when tomatos are available in abundent and cheap in the market, the first thing which comes to my mind is to make a tamoto thokku. It is so easy to make and can be used as a spread, as a side dish and as a pickle. I love this with curd rice (moor sadham). It will take little bit time to cook the tomatos and we can use it for atleast 10 days if preserved well.
Tomato - 4
Tamarind - a small piece
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Red Chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Hing - a pinch
Oil - for frying
- Add the tomatoes in boiled water and cover it with a lid. (you need not keep water in flame)
- After 1 hour take out the tomatoes and peel the skin
- Grind the tomatoes along with red chilli powder,salt, tamarind in a mixer to a fine paste
- Heat the oil in a pan, and add mustard seeds once the oil is hot
- When the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add the ground paste and deep fry it in a low flame
- When the mixture becomes thick and starts separating from oil, remove it from the flame.
- The mouth-watering Tomato Thokku is ready to serve with hot chapatis or curd rice.