Yellu(Sesame Seeds) kuzhambu is one of my favourite kuzhambu. The conventional method of making ellu kuzhambu is little different from other kuzhambu varieties. My mom used to make this kuzhambu by frying the coconut directly in the fire instead of pan. The direct frying of coconut in fire without adding any oil gives a nice flavour to the kuzhambu along with the nice aroma of sesame seeds. I have given here the conventional method, but we can also do this quickly by frying the grated coconut in the pan and then grinding it with other spices. Many of us are now using induction based hob, especially, people staying abroad, they can fry the grated coconut in the pan itself. But if we have conventional gas stove, then we can surely try this traditional method of making this yummy Sesame Seeds (Ellu) kuzhambu.
Preparation and Yield:
|Preparation time||10 mins|
|Cooking Time||25 mins|
|Black Yellu(Sesame Seeds)||3tablespoon|
|Thur daal||1 tablespoon|
|Chopped big size coconut||5 pieces (each 1 inch piece)|
|Tamarind||1 small lemon size|
|Mustard seeds||1 teaspoon|
- Soak the tamarind in water and extract the juice and keep it aside
- Dry fry the Yellu(Sesame Seeds) in a pan till it starts to sputter and add this to mixer
- Grind the fried sesame seeds to a nice powder. Keep it aside. We will be adding this to kuzhambu only at the last. Hold the coconut piece with a tong and fry the coconut pieces in flame directly till it turns golden brown color. Take all the fried coconut pieces to the mixer
- Pour some oil in pan and fry the red chilli, and the daals and fry it till the daal turns golden brown color.
- Add these to mixer and grind it to a paste. Heat the pan and add oil. To this add mustard seeds and when the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add curry leaves and fry for a second. To this add tamarind extract , salt and allow the tamarind mixture to boil till raw smell goes off.
- Now add the ground paste and allow the kuzhambu to boil. Finally add sesame seeds powder and mix well and switch off the flame.
- The yummy Yellu(Sesame Seeds) kuzhambu is ready to serve with rice