Senai (Elephant Yum) is a common root vegetable in Tamil Nadu. This is one of the cheap vegetable and can be stored for many days without refrigeration. If Yum is not cooked properly, then it may give the itching sensation in your inner mouth. Make sure that the Yum is cooked completely. It also gives the itching sensation when you cut this vegetable. Apply some oil in your hand to prevent this. But this is very tasty vegetable and many recipes can be made out of it. Masiyal is nothing but "cooked and smashed".
|Preparation Time||10 mins|
|Cooking Time||20 mins|
|Senai (Yum)||1/2 kg|
|Thurdal||1/2 Cup / 125gms|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Mustard Seeds||1 teaspoon|
- Chop the green chilli and keep it aside. Finely chop the senai and pressure cook the senai and mash it well and keep it aside
- Pressure cook the thurdal and mash it well. Mix the cooked and smashed daal along with senai. To this add salt, turmeric powder and allow it to boil
- In a separate pan, add oil and when the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add urdhal and fry it till it becomes golden color. To this add chopped green chilli and curry leaves and fry it and remove from flame and add it to the boiling senai masiyal and mix it well.
- Remove from flame and when the senai masiyal cools off add lemon extract and mix it well. Garnish with Coriander leaves
- Now the yummy Senai Masiyal is ready to serve.