|Raw rice||1 tumbler|
|Water||2 1/2 tumler|
|Grated Coconut||3 tablespoon|
|Mustard Seeds||1 teaspoon|
- Soak the raw rice(preferably Pacharisi) for 15 mins in water. After 15 mins, drain the water and spread the rice in the towel and let the rice dry completely. Grind the rice in the mixer and grind it like sooji (rawa) and keep it aside. Make sure that the rice is not grind completely like rice flour.
- Heat the oil in the pan. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds starts to sputter add the urdhal, channa dhal, broken red chillis, curry leaves. Fry the above mixture till dhal turn into golden brown color.
- Now add the water along with hing and salt .
- When the water starts boiling add the ground rice and stir it well to avoid lumps.
- Once the ground rice cooked completely add the grated coconutand mix it well.
- Switch off the flame when the mixture gets thicker and there is no traces of water.
- Spread the cooked upma in plate and allow it to cool.
- Now make a small balls out of it and place it in a Idly plate and steam cook it for five minutes.
- Serve Upma Kozhukattai with coconut chutney/Vendhya kuzhambu