Preparation and Yield:
|Preparation time||15 mins|
|Cooking Time||20 mins|
|Recipe Cuisine||South Indian|
|Raw rice||1 Cup|
|Water||2 1/2 Cup*|
|Grated Coconut||1/4 Cup|
|Mustard Seeds||1 teaspoon|
- Wash the raw rice(preferably Pacharisi) in water. Spread the rice in the towel and let the rice dry completely. Grind the rice in the mixer and grind it like sooji (rawa) and keep it aside. Make sure that the rice is not grind completely like rice flour.
- Heat the oil in the pan. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds starts to sputter add the urdhal, channa dhal, broken red chillis, curry leaves. Fry the above mixture till dhal turn into golden brown color. Finally add hing and switch off the flame .
- Take the broken rice in a vessel. Add 2.5 cups of water along with salt. Add Seasoning to the water and stir well
- Finally add grated coconut and stir well. Keep the vessel inside the pressure cooker and pressure cook allowing for 3 whistles
- Allow the pressure to release fully and then open the cooker and stir the cooked upma well
- Spread the cooked upma in plate and allow it to cool. Now make a small balls out of it and place it in a Idly plate and steam cook it for five minutes.
- Serve Upma Kozhukattai with coconut chutney/Vendhya kuzhambu