Appalam Kuzhambu is easy and quick to prepare and when we do not have vegetables in home, we can easily make this kuzhambu and this is very tasty and has good aroma too. A slight variation to our normal vathakuzhambu and we will surely enjoy this taste and flavour of appalam in the kuzhambu.
|Preparation time||10 mins|
|Cooking Time||20 mins|
|Tamarind||1 small lemon size|
|Sambar Powder||1 tablespoon|
|Gingelly Oil||2 teaspoon|
|Mustard Seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Fenugeek Seeds(Vendhayam)||¼ teaspoon|
|Channa Dal(Kadalai Paruppu)||1 teaspoon|
- Soak the tamarind in water and extract the juice and keep it aside
- Heat the oil in pan, add mustard seeds and when the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add channa dal, fenugreek seeds, broken red chilli and hing and fry till dal turns golden brown color. To this add broken ulundhu appalam and fry for a minute
- Add the sambar powder and fry for 20 seconds. Then add the tamarind extract and salt and allow the mixture to boil till the raw smell of sambar powder goes off completely
- If the kuzhambu is very dilute in consistency, we can mix 1 teaspoon of rice flour with water and add this to the kuzhambu to make it thicker.
- The mouth-watering appalam kuzhambu is ready to serve with hot rice and a spoon of gingelly oil.