Agathi Keerai is a medicinal green leafy vegetable that helps to keep us healthy in various aspects especially for female. On dhuvadhasi day in tamil month Margazhi, a day after Vaikunta Ekadashi, the devotees who had their fasting on edkadashi will prepare agathi keerai curry on duvadashi. Since the previous day they were fasting for the whole day, the stomach might get upset due to gas and this medicinal leafy vegetable will help in balancing the digestion.
- Take the leaves from agathi keerai bundles and clean it thoroughly to remove sand
- Cook the moong dal in a heavy bottomed pan by adding 1 cup of water and a pinch of turmeric powder
- Moong dal should be cooked well but at the sametime if we press the dal it should not smash well. Take the cooked moong dal in a vessel.
- In the pan, add oil and when the oil is hot, add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds starts to sputter add urdhal and fry till it turns golden brown color
- Add broken red chilli and mix well
- Now add the cleaned agathi keerai to the pan and sprinkle some water along with required salt
- Add necessary water to cook the keerai completely. This agathi keerai will take more time to cook than other green leafy vegetables
- Once the keerai is cooked completely, add the grated coconut, cooked moong dal and mix it well
- The yummy Agathi keerai curry is ready to serve