Yet another variety of Idly but very delicious and easy to prepare. A slight variation from the usual idly. The cumin seeds, Ginger powder and pepper gives a distinct flavour to this idly. Try this out and i hope you will start making this regularly as this will be liked by all the family members.
|Raw Rice||1 Cup|
|Par Boiled Rice||1 Cup|
|Cumin Seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Mustard Seeds(Optional)||1 teaspoon|
|Gingelly Oil||2 teaspoon|
|Ginger powder||1 teaspoon|
- Soak the rice and urdal in water for atleast 2 hours
- Rinse and drain the water and grind the rice and urdal in grinder to a thick batter. The batter should not be so smooth.
- Add salt and keep the ground idly flour separately for 12 hours for the batter to undergo fermentation
- Next day, heat ghee in a pan, add broken cashews and fry till it turns golden red color. Take this and add it to the idly flour and mix well
- Grind the pepper and cumin seeds in a mixer and keep this aside.
- Pour gingelly oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add the cumin-pepper powder and ginger powder and fry for a 10 seconds. Add this mixture to the batter and stir the batter well
- Now the kanchipuram idly batter is ready. Pour the idly batter in the idly plates and cook it in pressure cooker and serve with milagai podi (gun powder) , chutneys and sambar. Cooking of Idly will take more time than normal idly.
- We can also pour this batter in a deep plate and pour 4 laddles of flour in it. Steam it in a pressure cooker or idli cooker for about 20-30 min. Remove from the stove and cut it to small squares and serve.