Uppadai is another neivedhyam done on Karadayan nonbu. Uppadai and vellaadai are the neivedhyam dishes and women has to fast on karadayan nonbu and as per tradition after wearing the holy thread(nonbu kayiru) they have to eat only the adai they did for neivedhyam.
|Preparation Time||30 mins|
|Cooking Time||30 mins|
|Raw Rice||1 Cup*|
|Mustard seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Finely Sliced Coconut||1 tablespoon|
* 1 Cup Capacity = 250ml
- Soak the raw rice in water for 30 mins and then drain it and spread it in a towel for about 10 mins
- Take the rice in a mixer and grind it to a fine powder. Sieve it to extract the lumps and you can again grind the lumps once more to get fine powder.
- In a pan, dry fry the wet rice powder for a while till the flour changes its color to golden brown(The flour should not stick the vessel), you can also test it by taking a pinch of flour and try to put a circle and if you are able to draw using the flour then you can switch off the flame. Initially with the ground flour is so smooth that you could not be able to draw a circle but after we dry roast the flour, we should be able to draw. Now our rice flour is ready.
- In a pan, dry fry the karamani till the raw smell goes off and pour some water to cook the karamani.
- When the karamani is cooked take it in a plate and keep aside. Heat the oil in a pan, and add mustard seeds
- When the mustard seeds starts to sputter add hing, chopped chilli, curry leaves and fry for 10 seconds. Add 1 1/2 cups of water and add required salt.
- When the water starts to boil add finely chopped/sliced coconut, karamani and then add the rice flour and stir it properly to avoid lumps. Stir it well till the flour is half-cooked and tightens. Switch off the flame.
- Now make small balls out from the flour and place it in a ghee greased plastic cover and press it in center to make it like a vadai and put a small hole and place the patties in the idly plates and cook it for 5mins in pressure cooker
- The delicious Uppadai is ready for Neivedhyam and for serving.