We can make many different varieties of delicious Kozhukattai and offer as neivedhyam to Lord Ganesh on the auspicious occasion of Ganesha Chaturti (Vinayaka Chaturti). For any variety of kozhukattai / modak, the outercover preparation is same and making a perfect dough out of rice flour is the main aspect to get softer kozhukattai. Only if the outer cover is soft, we would be able to enjoy the taste the filling. This the traditional and conventional preparation of kozhukattai mavu (kozhukattai outercover). I have been making this for many years and the outercover would be perfectly soft using this method. Please refer this to prepare any kind of kozhukattai.
|Raw Rice||1 Cup|
- Wash and Soak the rice in water for 45 minutes
- Drain the water after 45 minutes and spread the rice in a clean white towel or a paper towel for 5 minutes.
- When the excess water is absorbed, add the spread rice to the mixer
- Grind the rice to a nice powder in the mixer
- Seive the rice twice to get a smooth rice flour. We can again grind the coarse rice powder again in the mixer and again the seive it to get a nice rice flour
- Heat water in pan, add salt, oil and milk. The water ratio is for the rice flour. For 1 cup of grounded and sieved rice flour, we have to add 3/4th water and 1/4th milk. The ratio differs for ready made flour sometimes. So always try 1:1(riceflour : water) ratio and then adjust rice flour or water accordingly.
- When the water starts to boil, add rice flour
- Mix the rice flour well and when it is mixed remove from flame. If you feel the dough is hard, you can sprinkle some warm water and mix well. Or if you feel the dough is very sticky, sprinkle some rice flour and mix to make correct consistency dough.
- Knead the dough well with the hand once and wrap it in a wet cloth and leave it for 10 minutes
- Now the kozhukattai mavu is ready for preparing yummy kozhukattai's
- Take gooseberry size ball out of the dough and using oil and water make small cup and add pooranam in the middle and close it
- We can then cook for 5 mins to prepare kozhukattais