Recently i got a chance to taste the Mango Ginger (Ma-Inji) and i was amazed by its taste. It doesn't have a spice and smell of a Ginger instead a wonderful aroma and taste of Mango. I often make Puli-Inji (Ginger with Tamarind Paste) in my home, but as soon as i tasted Mango Ginger, i thought of making Puli-Ma Inji in the same way. It came out very well and I liked it very much. Puli-Inji with an aroma of Mango.. its Tongue Tickling !. You can make it littler watery, in that case you can mix it with white rice and consume it. Alternatively, you can choose to use it as a pickle. Needless to say, its for a spice lovers ! Try this and post me your comments.Ingredients:
Mango Ginger - 5-6 finger size
Green Chillies - 6
Salt - To Taste
Tamarind - 1 lemon size
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Grated jaggery - 1 tablespoon
Urdhal - 2 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds/Vendhayam - 1/2 teaspoon
Curryleaves - few
Gingelly oil - 2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Channa dhal - 1 teaspoon
Hing - 1/4 teaspoon
- Method :
- Soak the tamarind in water and extract the juice and keep it aside.
- Finely chop the mango ginger and green chillies and keep it aside.
- Heat the pan and dry fry the urdhal,vendhayam and curryleaves and fry it till the dhal changes its color to light brown.
- Grind these in a mixer to a fine powder.
- In the pan pour the 1 table spoon of gingelly oil and add the finely chopped Mango Ginger & Green chilli for about 5 mins in a low flame.
- Take these into a mixer and grind it to fine paste.
- In the pan pour the gingelly oil and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begins to sputter add the channadhal, curry leaves and hing and fry it till the dhal becomes light brown colour.
- Add the tamarind extract, turmeric powder and salt and let the mixture boils for upto 5 mins in the medium flame.
- Finally add the ground powder (Urdhal, Fenugreek seed powder), ground paste (mango ginger, chilli paste) and add the grated jaggery and when the mixture starts to boil, switch off the flame
- Tongue Tickling Puli MaInji is ready to serve with white rice / Curd rice.
- You can also make this recipe using Ginger. Take only one piece of ginger and the same ingredients mentioned here to make Puli Ingi.