|Tamarind||1 lemon size|
|Turmeric Powder||A Pinch|
|Channa dal||2 tablespoon|
Ingredients for Grinding:
|Grated Coconut||1/2 Cup|
|Coriander Seeds||2 tablespoon|
|Channa dal||1.5 tablespoon|
|Mustard Seeds||1 teaspoon|
- Cook the thurdhal in the pressure cooker till it is soft
- Soak the channa dal for 10 mins in water.
- Smash the cooked thurdal and keep it aside.
- Finley chop the brinjal vertically and keep it aside.
- Extract the tamarind juice and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in pan, add red chilli, coriander seeds, channa dal and fry till the dal turns golden brown color. Take this in a mixer.
- Add grated coconut along with hing and fry it till the coconut turns golden brown color and add this to the mixer
- Grind all these ingredients in the mixer to a nice powder.
- Add chopped brinjals in a pan and add water along with salt and turmeric powder till the brinjal is cooked completely.
- Once the brinjal is cooked, add tamarind juice and soaked channa dal and allow the mixture to boil till the raw smell of tamarind goes off and the channa dal is cooked.
- Add the smashed thurdhal and cooked channa dal and ground powder and stir well and when the rasavangi starts to boil, remove from flame.
- Pour the oil in the pan, add the mustard seeds once the oil is hot. When the mustard seeds begins to sputter, add the urdhal and fry it till it becomes golden color.
- Add curry leaves and and fry it and add it to the cooked rasavangi.
- Kathirikai(Brinjal) Rasavangi is ready to serve.
Another easier method is to make Rasavangi using lemon. Please follow this link for the same.