|Ragi Flour (Finger Millet Flour)||1 Cup|
|Cooked Rice||1/2 cup|
|Butter Milk/Yogurt||1/4 cup|
|Finely chopped onion||1/4 cup|
The day before preparation (Dough preparation and Fermentation)
- Mix Ragi Flour with cooked rice and salt. Add water to make idly batter consistency. Mix well so that there are no lumps.
- Keep this mixture aside for 3-4 hours for Fermentation.
- After 3-4 hours, heat the heavy bottomed pan. Measure the Ragi Mix and add same amount of water in the pan.
- When the water starts boiling add the Ragi Mixture. Cook the mixture in the medium flame for about 15mins - 20 mins. Make sure that you stir continuously to avoid burning. In 15-20 mins it will become thick batter consistency.
- Switch off the flame and close the pan. Keep it overnight for fermentation. It increases nutritional benefits and taste.
Next Day - Make a Koozh:
- For 1 cup of Koozh, add 3/4 cup of dough (that you prepared yesterday and kept for fermentation) and add 1/4 up of butter milk/curd. If required add water.
- Mix well.
- Serve with Vadaam / Pickle / chopped onion.
Note : Instead of adding the cooked rice, you can also add the raw rice in the boiling water before adding the ragi mix. When ragi is cooked, the rice will also be cooked.