This Kara kuzhambu is chettinad special. Specially for spicy lovers. We can use drumstick, brinjal or ladys finger for this kuzhambu. In this kara kuzhambu recipe, I have used tara root and drumstick. Kara Kuzhambu rice with little gingelly oil is a wonderful delight.
|Preparation Time||10 mins|
|Cooking Time||30 mins|
|Servings||3 - 4|
|Tamarind||1 lemon size|
|Coriander Powder||2 teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Red Chilli Powder||2 teaspoon|
|Cumin Seeds||1 tea spoon|
|Channa dal||1 teaspoon|
|Raw Rice||1 teaspoon|
Ingredients for Seasoning:
|Gingelly Oil||2 table spoon|
|Hing||1/4 tea spoon|
- Cook the tara root in pressure cooker and allow 2 whistles. Once cooked, peel the skin and make medium sized pieces and keep it aside with drumstick pieces. Chop the onions and keep it ready. Soak tamarind in water and extract the tamarind juice
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan, add cumin seeds, raw rice, channa dal and pepper and fry till the dals turn golden brown color. Take the fried items in the mixer and grind it to a nice powder.
- Heat oil in the pan, add mustard seeds
- When the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add cooked tara root and drumstick pieces and fry for 2 minutes
- Add chopped onions, and fry till the onions become transparent. Add a pinch of salt
- Now add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder and fry for 2 minutes
- Add 1 cup of water and allow the drumstick to cook completely.
- Once the drumstick is cooked completely, add tamarind juice, hing and salt and allow it to boil for 5 minutes so that the raw smell goes off
- Finally add ground powder and mix well. Keep the kuzhambu in low flame and allow it to boil for 5 minutes and remove from flame
- The spicy and tangy kara kuzhambu is ready to serve with plain white rice and a drop of gingelly oil