Peas Pulao is a simple rice variety made using Basmati rice and Green Peas. We can cook this in a pressure cooker, microwave, rice cooker or directly in a Tawa. I prefer not to use the pressure cooker for the Pulao as the rice will get smashed due to the pressure. In this recipe I have cooked it directly in the tawa.
|Preparation Time||30 mins|
|Cooking Time||20 mins|
|Servings||3 - 4|
|Basmati Rice||1 Cup|
|Jeera (Cumin Seeds)||1 teaspoon|
|Green Peas||1/2 cup|
- Rinse the basmati rice atleast 2 to 3 times to remove the starch. Soak the rice in water for atleast 30 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, heat some oil/ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.We can add clarified butter to have a good aroma.
- When the ghee/oil is hot, add the bay leaves and fry for about 30 seconds. Add the cumin seeds and allow it to sputter.
- Drain the rice and add the same and fry it for a while(for about 2 mins). Also add the Green Peas. You can use fresh green peas or the fozen green peas. If you are using frozen peas, then defrost it before use.
- Mix the rice and peas well gently.
- Add 2 cups of water (1 cup of Rice : 2 cups of Water). Keep the flame in high, till the water is fully absorbed from the rice. We can occasionally stir to avoid the rice sticking in the bottom of the pan. But we should not do it often as it may break the rice. Add the Salt to taste.
- After 5 minutes, most of the water is absorbed. Stir once now.
- Once the water is fully absorbed, cover the pan with a lid and keep the flame very low. Allow the rice to cook completely in very low flame. It may take upto 10 minutes. The delicious Peas Pulao is ready to serve hot.
- Always rinse the rice atleast 2 to 3 times to get rid of the starch in the rice and water becomes clear.
- We cook the rice in a pressure cooker, rice cooker, microwave or direcly in a pan covered with lid.
- Different kinds of rice needs different amount of water. The age of rice, brands determine the amount of water. If the rice is old, it needs more water as the new rice always has more moisture. If we need to cook more quantity of rice, then the ratio of rice : water (1:2) should be reduced.
- To get fluffy and puffy rice, we can add 1 teaspoon of oil to the boiling water or we can roast the rice a little and then we can cook