Upma is one of the simplest breafast/Tiffen dish, which is popular across India. There are different versions of Upma, but i would prefer to stick to the simplest version of the upma which taste heaven to me every time when I tasted it. The simplest version is the plain upma with little onion, curry leaves and green chilli. And I prefer my upma to be fluffy and separate. I do make a different version of upma with many vegetables which is called Rawa Kichadi.
|Preparation Time||5 mins|
|Cooking Time||15 mins|
|Water||2 cups (Refer Tips)|
|Oil||1 table spoon|
|Mustard Seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Channa Dhal||1 teaspoon|
- Chop the Onions & Green Chilies and keep it aside.
- Heat the pan and add the rawa and fry it till the raw smell goes off. Don't let the color of the rawa to change. It should not get stick to the pan. Keep it aside.
- Now add the chopped onions and fry it till it becomes transparent
- Now add the water and also the salt. As i mentioned, i have added 2 cups of water for 1 cup of Rawa, as i want the upma to be sperate(non sticky) and fluffy. If you prefer the upma to be cloggy, you can add upto 3 cups of water.
- When the water starts to boil, add the rawa and stir it to finely so that the rawa is cooked properly. You need to be very careful when adding the rawa as rawa becomes round balls while adding in the hot water. To avoid this keep stirring the water and add the rawa slowly and continuously.
- Once the water is absorbed, simmer the flame, cover the pan and cook the upma for about 10 minutes
- The delicious Rawa uppuma is ready to serve. I prefer to take this with Lemon pickle and cup of hot coffee. This can also be served with a spoon of sugar
In the pan, pour the oil and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begins to sputter add the channa dhal and green chillies and fry it till it becomes light brownish color.
1. You can add two cups of water for one cup of Rawa, if you want the upma to be non stick and fluffy. For this you need to cook in simmer for about 10 mins.
2. If you prefer the upma to be cloggy, then you can add upto 3 cups of water.
3. You can add Ginger, Tomato, vegetibale based on your taste and make different version of the upma.