Pineapple Rasam is a special variety of rasam. The pineapple adds distinct flavour and taste. Pineapple rasam/kesari are my favourite as I love the wonderful smell of this fruit. When I was young, I used to think that pineapple rasam would be sweeter, hence, I had not tasted for a long time. Then once in my friends home in Thiruvananthapuram I tasted this wonderful dish and I was so excited about the delicous taste of this rasam. Henceforth I make pineapple rasam often and especially to treat my guests. You can serve this as a soup in a bowl or serve with white rice and pappad. I always prefer to have this rasam with Potato Fry.
|Preparation Time||5 mins|
|Cooking Time||30 mins|
|Thur dal||1/4 Cup|
|Rasam Powder||1 teaspoon|
Ingredients for Grinding:
|Cumin Seeds||1 teaspoon|
Ingredients for Seasoning:
|Mustard Seeds||1 teaspoon|
- Pressure cook the thurdal and smash it nicely and keep it aside
- Take the pepper and cumin seeds in a mixer
- Grind the pepper and cumin seeds to a coarse powder
- Take 3 pine apple rings separately. If you have the whole pineapple, peel the skin and cut the pineapple into circles
- Chop the pineapple to bigger pieces and add it to the mixer
- Grind the pineapple pieces to a nice paste
- Take 1 tomato and nicely smash it. Or you can even give a pulse in the mixer to make a puree
- To the tomato puree, add 1 cup of water, turmeric and 1/2 quantity of ground coarse pepper-cumin powder, ground pineapple paste and rasam powder and allow the tomato puree to cook well
- Meanwhile, finely chop the rest of pineapple pieces and tomatoes and keep it ready
- In a separate pan, add ghee and add mustard seeds when the ghee is hot, when the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add broken red chilli, hing, rest of the ground pepper-cumin powder and curry leaves and saute it for 20 seconds
- Add the chopped pineapple and tomato pieces and saute it for 2 minutes in a medium flame
- Add the seasoned ingredients along with sauted pineapple and tomato pieces to the boiling tomato puree
- Add the smashed dal and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water and keep the flame in medium till we get a froth. Finally garnish with coriander leaves and remove from flame
- The delicious and spicy pineapple rasam is ready to serve.