I have been thinking of publishing this Suyyam recipe for a long time and this time I decided to do it now as we have Vinayakar Chaturti coming and this would be useful to many of us. This is one of the sweet dish one can never go wrong and easy to make especially for Neivedhyam. The filling which we use is just the same as we do for Paruppu Poorana Poli where we use bengal gram dal with jaggery. We can concoct this wonderful Suyyam even for other festivals like Saraswathi Pooja, Diwali, Varalakshmi Vratham etc.
Ingredients for Filling:
|Bengal Gram Dal(Channa dal/ Kadala paruppu)||1 Cup|
|Grated Coconut||1/2 Cup|
|Cardamom Powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Maida / All purpose Flour||1/2 Cup|
|Rice flour||2 tablespoon|
- Wash the channa dal and pressure cook it with 2 cups of water and allow for 2-3 whistles. The dal should be cooked nicely but not be smashed.
- Strain any excess water from the cooked dal and allow it to cool off. Then add it to mixer. Grind the dal in the mixer to a nice paste without adding water. Then add the grated jaggery, coconut and cardamom and give a pulse or two and remove the filling to a bowl. Now the poornam for suyyam is ready. Make small dumplings out of the filling and keep it ready
- Heat oil in a pan for frying the suyyams.
- Now let us prepare the batter for outer cover. Take a bowl and add maida and rice flour along with turmeric and pinch of salt
- Add water little by little to make a thick batter like bajji batter or idly batter. Take one dumpling of pooranam and dip it in suyyam batter and coat it evenly
- Drop the coated suyyam pooranam in hot oil gently and allow it to fry completely in oil.
- Add 4-5 dumplings of coated pooranam in oil and gently mix it and turn it so that it is fried nicely in all sides. Fry the suyyams till it becomes golden color and becomes crispy outside. Remove the fried crispy suyyams from oil and place it in a paper towel to drain the excess oil
- The mouth-watering suyyams are ready for Neivedhyam and also for serving.