We always maintain a minimum stock of paruppu podi as it is very much useful to me when i feel lazy to cook or we would like to eat something very simple. Paruppu podi can be mixed to the white rice with ghee/oil and can go well with applam (chutta applam/fried applam). As its name suggest it is made of dhalls and is good for health too. You can adjust the spice requirement by adding less/more red chillis. There are many variations available for this recipe and the one which I follow is given below.
Preparation and Yield:
|Preparation time||15 mins|
|Cooking Time||15 mins|
|Kollu(Horse Gram)||1/2 Cup*|
|Green Gram dal||1/2 Cup|
|Thur Dal||1/4 Cup|
|Cumin Seeds||1 teaspoon|
1 Cup Capacity = 250ml
- Heat a pan and Dry fry the horse gram first till they turn slightly brown color. Take this aside in a plate. Add green gram dal to the pan and dry fry it till the dal turns golden brown colour. Take this too in the same plate
- Next add thur dal and fry till the dal turns golden brown colour. Take this roasted dal to the same plate. Then add black pepper and fry for a 30 seconds. Take this to the plate
- Add red chillies and dry fry for 30 seconds and add it to the plate.Finally dry fry salt and add it to the other ingredients
- Allow all the fried ingredients to cool off and then grind all these in a mixer to a fine powder
- The tasty Paruppu podi is ready to serve with cooked rice.