Gulab Jamun is a scrumptious dessert dish and a rich traditional sweet too :-). Mostly all of us prepare this wonderful dessert/sweet for important festivals such as Diwali, Christmas and other festivals. Now, in this busy world, most of us started using ready made mixture like MTR gulab jamun mix which is very instant and easy to prepare. Even I have the mix many times. Traditionally, we need to make sugar less Khoya/Kova/Mawa and add maida to it and make soft gulab jamuns. But preparing Khoya/Kova/Mawa from milk is a bit tiring job and most of the current generations don't want to waste time!
The recipe which I have shared here is not the traditional way. This is also an Instant way of preparing soft and tasty Gulab Jamuns. Instead of traditional Khoya, I have used readymade milk powder and this makes our preparation much easier... Lets see the recipe now...
|Preparation Time||10 mins|
|Cooking Time||15 mins|
|Milk Powder||1 Cup|
|Maida / All Purpose flour||1/4 Cup|
|Baking Soda||1/2 teaspoon|
|Ghee / Clarified Butter||1 tablespoon|
|Water||1 3/4 Cups|
|Cardamom Powder||1/4 teaspoon|
- Take the milk powder in a mixing bowl. Add maida and baking soda to the milk powder and mix it well. Add Ghee to it and mix well
- Add milk little by little and mix the flours to make a soft dough. Close the bowl and keep the dough rest for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, grease your hand with ghee and make small balls out of the dough. When we fry and dip the balls in sugar syrup, the size will double, so we need to make sure we are rolling them to medium or small balls. Now our jamun is ready to fry in oil
- Lets prepare the sugar syrup and heat the oil in parallel. Take a pan and add sugar, water and cardamon powder and keep the flame medium to dissolve the sugar. Meanwhile, heat oil and ghee in another pan in medium flame. The oil+Ghee should not be so hot. If the oil is very hot, when we drop the dough balls, they will immediately change to red color leaving the inner portion of the ball uncooked. So our oil should be in medium hot
- When the sugar is completely dissolved, keep the flame very very low. We want a hot syrup to dip our jamuns. Just drop a pinch of dough and test if it raises in the oil a little later. Then our oil is hot enough. Gently drop 4-5 balls at a time in the oil and deep fry them in low flame. Do not over populate the oil with more jamuns as they tend to expand in volume
- Mix the balls frying in the oil frequently and gently to make sure we are frying them evenly in all the sides
- Once our jamuns are fried, remove from oil and place it in paper towel wrapped bowl for a minute and then immediately drop in hot sugar syrup. Let the gulab jamuns soak in hot sugar syrup for atleast 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes of soaking, the gulab jamuns will become very soft and if we cut it with a spoon, it should be smooth and the inner portion of gulab jamun should be nicely filled with the sugar syrup. Garnish with chopped pistachios
- Serve the yummy Gulab Jamun as it is or we can serve with ice-cream.