Poondu Kuzhambu, a spicy and tasty kuzhambu which is very good with hot steaming rice with a spoon of gingelly oil. This poondu kuzhambu is a very good side dish for Oothappam. Very simple to concoct and great dish for spice lovers.
|Preparation Time||10 mins|
|Cooking Time||20 mins|
|Tamarind||1 small lemon size|
|Garlic Pod||2 (atleast 20 garlic cloves)|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Coriander Powder||1 tablespoon|
|Red Chilli Powder||2 teaspoon|
|Coarse Pepper Powder||1 teaspoon|
|Mustard Seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Thur dal||1 teaspoon|
|Fenugeek seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
- Soak the tamarind in water and extract the juice.
- Finely chop the onions, tomatoes. Peel the garlic skin and if they are big, chop them into two. Once we are ready with all ingredients, heat a pan with oil. Add mustard seeds and when the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add thur dal, fenugeek seeds, broken red chilli and fry till the thur dal changes its colour to golden brown colour. Then add curry leaves and stir fry for a second
- Then, add chopped onions and garlic along with a pinch of salt and saute them till the onions becomes transparent. Then add chopped tomatoes and saute them till they get completely cooked and becomes mushy
- Add tamarind extract and salt and allow it to boil for 5 minutes to get rid off raw smell of tamarind juice. Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, pepper powder and coriander powder and mix well and keep the flame low and allow the kuzhambu to boil for another 10 minutes. Finally we would get a sightly thick consistency of kuzhambu and we can remove kuzhambu from flame
- Our yummy and spicy Poondu Kuzhambu is now ready to serve with hot steaming rice or yummy Oothappam!