|Preparation time||15 mins|
|Cooking Time||30 mins|
|Recipe Cuisine||South Indian|
|Kovakkai / Ivy Gourd / Tindora||250gms|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Grated Coconut||2 tablespoon|
|Cumin Seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|Mustard Seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Urid Dal||1 teaspoon|
- Wash and finely chop kovakkai in circles and pressure cook it with turmeric powder allowing for 2 whistles and keep it aside. We can even cook the kovakkai in stove top, which consumes more fuel. So I always prefer to cook kovakkai in pressure cooker. That makes the process much simpler.
- Grind the grated coconut, red chilli, cumin seeds in a mixer without adding water. The ground spice mixture should be dry.
- Heat the oil in the pan, and add mustard seeds . When the mustard seeds start to sputter, add the urdhal and fry till it becomes golden brown color, then add broken curry leaves. Now add the cooked kovakkai along with salt. If there is any water in the cooked kovakkai, keep the flame in medium and let all the water gets evaporated.
- Next, add ground spice mixture to the pan and give a good toss so that kovakkai is nicely mixed with the spice mixture. Cook this thuvaram for couple of minutes and switch off the flame
- The yummy Kovakkai thuvaran is ready to serve