Preparation and Yield:
|Preparation time||30 mins|
|Cooking Time||20 mins|
|Recipe Cuisine||South Indian|
|Maida / All purpose flour||1 Cup*|
|Gingelly Oil||2 tablespoon|
|Ghee||2 tablespoon (for cooking polis)|
|Grated Coconut||1 Cup|
|Grated Jaggery||1 Cup|
|Cardamom Powder||1/2 teaspoon|
- Take a mixing bowl. Add a cup of maida and add a pinch of salt and mix well. Add water little by little and knead it to a nice and soft dough.
- Add a tablepsoon of oil and knead the dough nicely for 5- 10 minutes. Add another tablespoon of oil and knead well again. Let this dough rest aside for 30 minutes. The kneading and adding oil makes the dough more softer and it would be easy for us to spread the maida with filling nicely and also helps to get softer polis
- Now the dough is ready
- Grind the grated coconut in a mixer by giving a pulse or two. This is to make sure the grated jaggery is smooth and does not have any chunks of coconut pieces. If the coconut is nice and smooth, the filling will not come out and we will have nice polis
- Heat a sauce pan and add the grated jaggery. Add 2 tablespoon of water and allow the jaggery to melt completely. Once the jaggery is completely melted, remove the sauce pan from the flame
- Keep another pan in flame and strain the jaggery juice to the pan. Bring the jaggery juice to boil
- Add the grated coconut to the pan and mix the jaggery and coconut well so that they are combined nicely. You can take a small quantity of puranam and check if you can roll it to a ball. This is the correct consistency to remove from the flame
- Now the puranam is all ready
- Take a plastic sheet and spread it nicely. Grease the sheet with oil nicely so that after spreading poli, it would be easier for us to remove from the sheet and add it to the pan. So grease the plastic sheet nicely
- Take a small lemon sized ball out of the dough and keep it on the greasy sheet. Grease your fingers with oil and spread the dough ball to a small circle.
- Take a big lemon sized ball out of the puranam and place it on the spread dough and bring all the edges and cover the filling and seal it nicely
- Again using your greasy fingers pat the dough and spread it carefully to make sure the filling is not coming out and spread it to a circle like a chapati. Keep this aside.
- In the same way make 3-4 batches of poli and cook them first
- Heat a pan, slowly remove the spread out poli from the plastic sheet and add it to the pan. Add a teaspoon of ghee around the poli and cook the poli in medium flame till you see small bubbles and the bottom part is cooked.
- Flip the poli and allow it to cook on the other side. Apply little more ghee and allow the poli to cook
- Remove the cooked poli from the pan and place it on a plate. In the same way cook the rest of the spread polis.
- The delicious and tasty Coconut Poli is all ready to serve! Serve with ghee topping or warm milk topping and enjoy the dish.
|Coconut Poli Recipe | Thengai Poli Recipe|