Healthy, tasty and veggie rich Kuzhambu!
Reading Time: 4 minutes
Aviyal Kuzhambu, a mixed vegetable coconut curry is a very tasty and yummy kuzhambu. Whenever there are left over veggies my MIL would make this delicious kuzhambu. The preparation is quite simple and same as the Kerala Style Puli Aviyal. The only difference is Aviyal is generally like a thick curry but here we are going to make it like Kuzhambu consistency. Serve this yummy Aviyal Kuzhambu with hot steaming rice!
Aviyal is a combination of mixed veggies.Generally we use veggies that are rich in water content. Most of the veggies that we use are seasonal. Its always good to use seasonal veggies that is much more healthier than the veggies that we get all round the year.
So as this Aviyal Kuzhambu is already with lots of veggies, I always prefer to serve this kuzhambu with hot steaming rice and papad.
There are 2 ways to cook Aviyal. We can make aviyal with curd or tamarind. Curd based Aviyal is a perfect accompaniment for Adai or Coconut Rice. But Tamarind based Aviyal is a perfect accompaniment for Sambar/Rice.
Servings: 4 people
Aviyal Kuzhambu, a mixed vegetable coconut curry is a very tasty and yummy kuzhambu.Serve this yummy Aviyal Kuzhambu with hot steaming rice!Print Recipe
- 1 Gooseberry Size Tamarind
- 3 Cups Mixed Veggies Carrot, Chow chow, Snake Gourd, Cucumber, Drumstick
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Few Curry Leaves For Garnishing
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Raw Rice
- 1/3 Cup Grated Coconut
- 3 Green Chili
- 3 Red Chili
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Soak Tamarind in warm water for 10 mins and extract the juice and set it aside
- Wash & Soak raw rice in water 10 mins. After 10 mins, drain the water from soaked rice. Add grated coconut, cumin seeds, green and red chili and grind everything to a smooth paste
- First take all sliced veggies, add turmeric powder and water and cook the veggies till soft and tender
- When the veggies are soft, add tamarind extract along with salt and boil for about 5 mins to get rid off the raw smell of the tamarind extract
- After 5 mins, add the coconut spice paste and stir well. Adjust the consistency of the kuzhambu by adding water
- Boil the Aviyal Kuzhambu for 2-3 minutes and then switch off the flame.
- Garnish with Coconut oil and curry leaves
- Serve the delicious Aviyal Kuzhambu with hot steaming rice.
- We can cook all the veggies for 2-3 whistles in pressure cooker and then add tamarind extract and coconut spice paste
- Generally we don't do tempering for Aviyal. So I skipped for Aviyal Kuzhambu too. But if you want, you can temper with mustard and curry leaves
- Coconut oil would be a perfect choice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 110 Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Subscribe to our YouTube ChannelSubscribe! to get Latest Subbuskitchen Video Recipes
Good PracticeAll the Images and videos are Copyright Protected. So please do not copy the content or images. If you want to use, please ask for it
- Cut all the vegetables lengh wise and keep it aside
- Cook the vegetables in a heavy bottomed vessel by adding water and turmeric.
- Soak the tamarind in water and extract the juice. Soak the raw rice in water for sometime. Take the coconut with soaked rice, red chillies and green chillies and cumin seeds in a mixer.
- Grind the cocunut with soaked rice, red chillies and green chillies and cumin seeds into a fine paste.
- When the vegetables are half cooked add the tamarind extract and salt and let the mixture boils till all the vegetables are fully cooked.
- Then add the ground paste and when the mixture starts boiling then switch off the flame.
- Add the coconut oil and curry leaves.
- The delicious Aviyal Kuzhambu is ready to serve with plain rice.
(Visited 15,409 times, 2 visits today)