Baingan Bharta Recipe
Baingan Bharta, a delicious roasted aubergine sabzi cooked in onion tomato gravy with aromatic Indian spices.The smoke of the roasted aubergine gives a nice flavour to the dish. Traditionally, we need to roast the brinjals in open flame. But since, I have electric stove, I roasted them in Oven instead. This is really a scrumptious dish that will stir our taste buds. This Baingan Bharta should be little spicy than our usual gravies because the mushy aubergine will suppress the spice from the underlying oniom-tomato gravy. So try to add more spice to have a nice and delicious Baingan Bartha. Serve with any Indian Flat Bread and ejoy the dish!
Preparation and Yield:
|Preparation time||15 mins|
|Cooking Time||1 Hour|
|Recipe Category||Veg Gravy|
|Recipe Cuisine||North Indian|
|Baingan Bharta Recipe|
|Aubergine (Big Eggplant)||2|
|Onion||1 finely Chopped|
|Red chilli Powder||1 teaspoon|
|Coriander Powder||1 teaspoon|
|Garam Masala||1/2 teaspoon|
|Finely chopped coriander Leaves||For Garnishing|
|Ginger||1 inch piece|
|Green Chilli||1 Chopped|
|Cumin Seeds||1 teaspoon|
- First lets cook the Aubergine. Wash and dry the Aubergine. Coat it with oil on all the sides. Cook the Aubergine directly in low flame carefully turning the sides to make sure it is cooked well on the all the sides. The smoke of the roasted Aubergine is the success of this dish. I have only electric stove, so I roasted the Aubergine in the oven at 400 degrees F for about 45 minutes, turning them every 15 minutes.
- While the Aubergine is getting cooked, lets prepare our gravy. Take the grinding ingredients to the mixer jar and grind it to a paste
- Heat a pan and add oil and butter. Add cumin seeds and allow it to sputter. Then add chopped onions and saute them for 2 minutes
- Then add ground paste and saute along with the onions till the onions turn translucent. Then add chopped tomatoes
- To the tomatoes, add red chilli powder, coriander powder and cook the tomatoes till they turn mushy. Add necessary salt and give a good mix. Allow the tomato to cook in medium flame
- Check the Aubergine, if it is cooked completely, cool off and peel the skin and mash it nicely with back of a fork or a potato masher.
- Add the mashed Aubergine to the cooked onion-tomato gravy, and mix well. Keep the flame low and allow the aubergine to cook and incorporate the masalas for about 15 mintues. Add garam masala and water if you feel the gravy is very thick. Finally garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves
- Add garam masala and water if you feel the gravy is very thick. Finally garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves
- Serve the delicious Baingan Bharta with any Indian Flat bread like Roti, Paratha and enjoy your dish!
|Baingan Bharta Recipe|
(Visited 73 times, 1 visits today)