Everyone starting from the teens to the elderly people are now concerned about the diet which they are consuming every day. Even we have apps in our Android and Apple devices which tell us exactly how much calories we are consuming based on our inputs. So most of us are now taking cautious steps towards proper balanced diet. Here, given below is an easy at the same time very healthy sambar.
Why it’s Diet Sambar ?
- No to Tamarind !. Tamarind is not so good and instead we can substitute that with tomato.
- Adding Garlic & Cumin seeds – Garlic helps to extract the gas present in the pulse and also the garlic would be mashed nicely and we don’t get the smell of garlic. Cumin seeds helps in digestion.
- Generous in Vegetables – Added more vegetables than the normal Sambar. It’s always healthy !
- Very less or no oil – I have used only a teaspoon of oil for preparing this whole dish.
- More Greens – Added fist full of coriander leaves.
- Pressure Cooker to make Sambar ! Pressure cooker are always a boon to us as it not only saves the energy at the same time it helps to retain the benefits of the food which we are cooking and also makes it quicker to prepare.
|Preparation Time||10 mins|
|Cooking Time||30 mins|
|Thur dal||1/2 Cup*|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Cumin Seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|Sambar Powder||3 teaspoon|
|Onion / Shallots (preferably Shallots)||1/4 Cup|
|Chopped Coriander Leaves||1 fist full|
* 1 cup capacity = 250 ml
|Mustard Seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|Cumin Seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
- Wash the thur dal and take it in a vessel along with garlic, turmeric and cumin seeds and add water to soak the dal and pressure cook it. As I told earlier, the garlic takes out the gas from the dal and cumin helps in digestion. After the first whistle, keep the flame in low and allow for 2 more whistles. Allow the pressure to release on its own and do not try to open the lid forcing the pressure to release
- Wash and Chop the vegetables to medium sized pieces. Finely chop the onions and keep it ready. Wash the tomatoes and squeeze them to make a juice with your hands. I have put them in a mixture and gave couple of pulses.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and when the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add curry leaves and saute it for a second. Then add finely chopped onions along with pinch of salt and saute the onions. The salt brings out the moisture from onions and make them cook nicely and because of this we do not need more oil to saute the onions and also we do not need to saute them till they are done as we are going to pressure cook them all.
- Then add squeezed tomato juice along with vegetables and give a stir. Add sambar powder and hing and mix well and remove from flame
- Now our dal would have been ready, mash the garlic well and also mash the dal. Add the vegetable mixture to this dal along with salt and mix well
- Pressure cook them allowing for 2 whistles. Allow the pressure to release on its own and then open the pressure cooker and add the chopped coriander leaves and mix well
- The yummy Diet Sambar is now ready to serve!!! Have a healthy and balanced food!
(Visited 1,064 times, 1 visits today)