Idiappam / Idiyappam
Like Idli another harmless and light dish is Idiyappam. Idiyappam also called as string hoppers is a traditional Tamil, Kerala and Sri Lankan food consisting of rice flour pressed into noodle form and then steamed. It is usually served with idiyappam kurma or coconut milk. Conventional method of making idiyappam is by first preparing the homemade rice flour and then adding boiling water to the flour and squeeze it through the press and mould to get like a noodle and then steam cook it. But now we are getting readymade idiyappam flour which makes our effort less and we can make idiyappam very easily. I have explained here the conventional method of making idiyappam by using homemade rice flour. We can very well follow the method and use the store bought idiyappam flour also.
Preparation and Yield:
|Preparation time||10 mins|
|Cooking Time||20 mins|
|Homemade Rice Flour||2 Cups*|
*1 cup = 250ml
- Boil water along with oil and salt. If you are using a store bought idiyappam flour and you have stored it in refrigerator, then boil the water nicely. If your rice flour or idiyappam flour is at room temperature, then boil the water till the bubbles starts to rise up in the water. Take the idiyappam flour or rice flour in a mixing bowl. To that, add the boiled water little by little.
- Mix the flour with the backside of a ladle till all the flour are mixed well and you have got a soft dough. Stop adding water once all the rice flour are mixed up. Take the idiyappam press and fix the idiyappam mould and lightly grease the press with oil to avoid stickiness. To this add 1 fist full of dough and close the idiyappam press. Take the idli plate or idiyappam plate and grease the plates with oil. Squeeze the dough onto the idli plates in a circular motion.
- We can also place a damp cloth on the idli plate and then squeeze the dough. Now place the idli plates in a steamer and steam it until done. This is similar like how you cook idly in the cooker.
- Allow it to cool for a while and carefully remove the idiyappams to a serving Plate.
- The yummy idiyappam is ready to serve with sambar / sweet cocunut milk / Idiyappa Kurma.
(Visited 2,144 times, 4 visits today)