Jeera Rice, an awesome rice variety just with rice and cumin seeds. I am usually comfortable with my traditional Southindian dishes as i have more experience in that, but this generation likes more of North Indian dishes than traditional especially during any parties. My daughter-in-laws prefer to prepare North indian dishes during my grandaughter’s birthday parties as we have different guests and North India dishes are always liked by the youngsters. So i started doing NorthIndian dishes.
Jeera rice is one of the simpe, yet tasty rice variety. We can do this very quickly and impress our family and guests. Many elder people from southern region does not like to change their food habits. Especially my elder sister does always like to have traditional Tirunelveli dishes because she does not like to eat dishes with masala taste and smell. But in this Jeera rice, we are not going to add any masala ingredients and hence she started liking this. Now i am going to say the preparation method.
Preparation and Yield:
|Preparation time||30 mins|
|Cooking Time||25 mins|
|Recipe Category||Rice Variety|
|Basmati Rice||1 Cup|
|Jeera (Cumin Seeds)||1 tablespoon|
|Green Chillies||3, Slit|
|Cinnamon Stick||1″ Stick|
|Onion||1 , Sliced|
- Rinse the basmati rice atleast 2 to 3 times to remove the starch. Soak the rice in water for atleast 30 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, heat some ghee/oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
- We can add clarified butter to have a good aroma.
- When the ghee/oil is hot, then we can add the cumin seeds
- When the cumin seeds starts to sputter, add chopped green chillies and fry for a minute
- We can add fresh and washed mint and coriander leaves at this stage. This is optional. If we would like to have only the cumin seeds flavour, then we can avoid adding this. I have also not used mint as I want only the cumin flavour
- Now add 2 cups of water. The ratio of rice to water is 1:2. Add required salt and stir well.
- Meanwhile drain the rice and keep it ready
- When the water starts to boil, slowly add the soaked and drained rice and mix well
- Keep the flame in high, till the water is fully absorbed from the rice. We can occasionally stir to avoid the rice sticking in the bottom of the pan. But we should not do it often as it may break the rice
- Once the water is fully absorbed, cover the pan with a lid and keep the flame very low. Allow the Jeera rice to cook completely in very low flame
- In the mean time while the rice is cooking in a very low flame, chop the onions vertically to thinner pieces. Heat a pan and add 1 teaspoon of ghee and fry the chopped onions
- Saute the onions till they turn golden brown colour and then switch off the flame. We have keep mixing the onions using a spatula continuously till are golden brown color.
- Add the saute onions to the rice and switch off the flame. We do not need to mix the rice with a spatula again. We can remove from flame and serve hot with dal/subji
- The delicious Jeera rice is ready to serve with hot dal/subji
- Always rinse the rice atleast 2 to 3 times to get rid of the starch in the rice and water becomes clear
- We cook the rice in a pressure cooker, rice cooker, microwave or direcly in a pan covered with lid
- Different kinds of rice needs different amount of water. The age of rice, brands determine the amount of water. If the rice is old, it needs more water as the new rice always has more moisture. If we need to cook more quantity of rice, then the ratio of rice : water (1:2) should be reduced
- To get fluffy and puffy rice, we can add 1 teaspoon of oil to the boiling water or we can roast the rice a little and then we can cook
(Visited 3,028 times, 1 visits today)