Malai Kofta Recipe
Malai Kofta, a very popular Vegetarian gravy served in most of the restaurants. Paneer mixed with boiled potatoes along with Indian spices are made into dumplings and deep fried to make delicious koftas. The base gravy is the butter-cream rich onion-tomato gravy along with Indian spices. Once the gravy is ready, just before serving, add the koftas and serve hot! A wonderful and rich vegetarian gravy that goes well with any Indian bread.
Preparation and Yield:
|Preparation time||15 mins|
|Cooking Time||50 mins|
|Recipe Cuisine||North Indian|
|Malai Kofta Recipe|
Ingredients for Kofta:
|Crumbled / Grated Paneer||1 Cup*|
|Potato||2 Boiled, Peeled & Mashed|
|Garam Masala||1/2 teaspoon|
|Coriander Powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Cumin Powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Red Chilli Powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Corn flour||2 teaspoon + 1/4 cup for Dusting|
|Oil||For Deep frying Koftas|
Ingredients for Gravy:
|Onion||1 Big Roughly Chopped|
|Tomato Puree||1 Cup|
|Coriander Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin Powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Red Chilli Powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Kasoori Methi||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh Cream||1/4 Cup|
|Coriander Leaves||1 Tablespoon|
|Malai Kofta Recipe|
Method for Making Gravy:
- Heat 2 tablespoon of butter. Add cashews and saute the cashews for a minute. Then add chopped onions and saute in butter till they becomes translucent.
- Add green chili, ginger and garlic clove and saute along with onions. When the onions turn translucent, add tomato puree, mix well, cover with the lid and cook the puree
- When the onion- tomato mixture is cooked and becomes thick and the oil oozes out of the mixture, switch off the flame and allow the mixture to cool off
- Once the onion-tomato mixture is cooled off, add the mixture to the mixer jar and grind it to a fine paste. Again heat 2 tablespoon of butter in a pan. Add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom and saute for a minute.
- Add the onion-tomato puree and mix well. Then, add red chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder along with salt and stir well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook in low flame for 5-7 minutes. Finally add crushed kasoori methi and mix well.
- Finally add fresh cream and switch off the flame. The gravy for Malai Kofta is ready. Lets prepare the Kofta now…
Method for Making Kofta:
- Take a mixing bowl, add crumbled paneer. Add boiled and mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Add finely chopped green chili, cashews and mix well
- Then, add coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, red chili powder and salt and mix well
- Finally add corn flour and mix well. The corn flour helps to bind the paneer-potato mixture
- Make small lemon sized balls out of the paneer-potato mixture. Heat oil in a pan. Take each paneer ball and dust it with flour and then gently drop in the oil. Dusting helps the paneer balls to fry without crumbling in the oil.
- Add 7-8 paneer balls and deep fry till they are crispy and golden brown. Take out the crispy koftas and place it in paper towel to drain excess oil. Repeat the step for frying rest of the kofta
- Finally take gravy in a serving bowl. Just before serving, add 3-4 kofta balls and serve hot.
- The delicious Malai Kofta is ready. Serve with roti or any Indian bread and enjoy the dish!
(Visited 2,200 times, 2 visits today)