Paruppu Purana Poli
Paruppu Purana Poli (Puran Poli) is a traditional sweet dish prepared during festivals like Bogi and Avani Avittam. Apart from festivals, I used to make this yummy sweet dish often because my first Grand daughter likes it so much. It is always a pleasure to make for our kids especially when they like it so much. Many of us think doing Poli is a very tough task, but believe me if we enjoy and do it, then I bet, it is very simple and very scrumptious too. A very soft and delicious sweet dish. In my mom-in-law’s native, for events like marriages they serve the purana poli and add generous amount of ghee as topping and also serve payasam on top of it.
Quicker Video Version
Quicker Video Version
Preparation and Yield:
|Preparation time||30 mins|
|Cooking Time||45 mins|
|Recipe Category||Sweet Varieties|
|Recipe Cuisine||South Indian|
Ingredients for OuterCover:
|Maida / All purpose flour||1 Cup|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Gingelly Oil||2 tablespoon|
Ingredients for Puranam:
|Channa Dal||1/2 Cup|
|Grated Jaggery||1/2 Cup|
|Grated Coconut||2 tablespoon|
- Cook the channa dhal in pressure cooker till it is soft.
- Grind the channa dhal along with grated cocunut and cardamon without adding water to fine paste
- Then add the jaggery to the mixer and give a pulse and mix it with the ground dal paste. Puranam is ready now.
- Mix the maida with oil and turmeric and add little water. The dough should be like chapati dough. Keep it aside for atleast 30 mins.
- Make small balls from the dough.
- Spread each ball like Poori using hand. Or you can also place the ball of dough in a plastic sheet greased with oil
- Cover the ball of dough with another cover greased with oil.
- Place a flat plate on top of the ball of dough and press it nicely to get a thin poori
- Now, keep the purnam in the middle of the rolled puri
- Close the puri with stuffed puranam and remove the excess dough
- Again using a plate or using hand spread the stuffed poli dough in such a way that the puranam is spread evenly
- Then heat a pan and add the rolled poli in the pan and add little ghee and cook one side.
- Turn other side and add some ghee and cook it. Remove the cooked poli from pan. Repeat the same for the remaining poli dough
- The delicious Purana Poli is ready to serve hot.
(Visited 4,066 times, 1 visits today)