When I was living in Nagercoil, i used to get the Rasa Vadai from the small tiffen shops along with the morning tiffens. The vadai used to melt in the mouth along with the flavor of rasam. I attempted to make the same vadai to that perfection, but i should admit that it hasn’t come up to the same level of taste and perfection, but its not bad as well :-). For Rasa vadai i would prefer to use the ‘Masala Vadai’ instead of the medhu vadai.
|Preparation Time||3 hours|
|Cooking Time||1 hour|
Ingredients for Rasam:
|Tamarind||1 small lemon size|
|Rasam Powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Cumin Seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Pepper corns||1/2 teaspoon|
Ingredients for Seasoning:
|Mustard seeds||1 teaspoon|
Method for making Rasam:
- Take the cumin seeds and pepper corns in a mixer
- Grind it to a coarse powder and keep it ready
- Soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup of water and extract the juice . Grind the tomato in a mixer to a puree
- Take the tamarind juice and tomato puree in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add salt and hing and keep in flame and allow it to boil
- When it starts to boil, add rasam powder and allow it to boil for atleast 5 minutes till the raw smell of the rasam powder goes off.
- Now, in a separate pan, add ghee and when the ghee is hot, add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds starts to sputter, add cumin-pepper coarse powder and fry for 1 minute and remove from flame
- Add 3 cups of water and bring it to boil.
- Add the seasoned ingredients to rasam.
- When the rasam starts to boil, remove from flame and finally garnish with coriander leaves
Ingredients for Vadai:
|Channa dal||1 Cup|
|Raw Rice||1 Tablespoon|
|Fennel Seeds||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Grated Ginger||1 teaspoon|
Method for making Vada:
- Soak the dals amd rice in water for 2 hours
- After, 2 hours drain the water and keep it aside for anther 30 minutes do completely drain all the water
- After 30 minutes, take 2 tabespoon of dals and keep it aside. Add half quantity of the remaining dals in a mixer along with salt and red chilli to grind the chillies nicely. Now add the remaining dals and give a couple of pulse. The final vada flour should be coarse and not smooth
- To the ground vada flour add chopped green chillies, onion and grated ginger and mix well
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add a pinch of dough in hot oil and it it raises immediately, the oil is in the correct heatness. Take small quantity of dough, and make it a ball and keep it in flame and pat it to make a small patti
- Gently drop it in oil. Repeat for atleast 5-6 vadas. Fry the vada in one side
- After sometime, gently turn it to other side and keep it in medium flame and fry it evenly on both the sides. Remove the crispy vada from flame.
Method for making Rasa Vada:
- Take half quantity of rasam and keep it aside. One half is for dipping the vadas and other half of rasam is for serving
- Add the fried vadas taken from flame to one half of rasam. Make sure the rasam is hot, if not heat the rasam again and drop the hot vadas
- Soak all the vadas in rasam for atleast 1 hour. Ususally we make ulundhu vada(Medhuvada) which should be soaked only for 5 minutes, but this is masal vada and hence we need to dip in rasam for longer time for the rasam to get deeper into the vada
- After 1 hour, warm the rest of rasam . Take 2 ladles of rasam and add the dipped and soaked vada and garnish with coriander leaves
- The delicious and tangy rasa vada is ready for serving
- The vada dough should be coarse then only the vada will be crispy
- While we wait for the dals to be soaked in water, we can prepare the rasam and keep it ready
- There is no need to add dal for rasam and we need diluted rasam.
- We can add chopped tomatoes while serving. It will be more colorful and attracts our family and guests while serving
(Visited 277 times, 1 visits today)