Thengai Burfi (Cocunut Burfi)
Fresh grated coconut in cardamom flavoured sugar syrup taste wonderful. If you are a sweet lover then you will love it for sure. Coconut Burfi as its name suggest is a sweet made of the coconut which can be cooked easily and quickly. Coconut Burfi (Thengai Burfi) is a tasty south Indian sweet done on most of the festival days. Most of us make this tasty burfi for Diwali. A little care needed otherwise a simple sweet yet so mouth-watering dish.
Video with Captions
Video with Voice Over
Preparation and Yield:
|Preparation time||15 mins|
|Cooking Time||20 mins|
|Recipe Cuisine||South Indian|
|Thengai Burfi (Cocunut Burfi)|
|Grated Cocunut||1 Cup|
|Cardamom Powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Broken Cashews||1 tablespoon|
|Thengai Burfi (Cocunut Burfi)|
- Take a tray and grease the tray with ghee and keep it aside
- Grate the coconut and keep it ready. The main trick to get a nice and wonderful white coconut burfi, so grate only half of the coconut. Do not grate till the end as we start getting slightly brown color gratings if we keep on grate. So better take 2 coconuts and grate it till half so that we would get pure white coconut gratings. Heat a pan and add the grated coconut and saute it in low flame till we get a nice aroma. This will take only a minute or two. Do not saute it so much otherwise the coconut would change its colour to light brown
- Heat a pan with a teaspoon of ghee and add broken cashews and fry them till they are golden brown color. Take this roasted cashews aside. Again heat the pan and add sugar and water.
- Keep the flame in medium to low to allow sugar to completely dissolve in the water and melt completely. Cook it till the sugar syrup reaches the thick single string(Getti Kambi Pagu) consistency. If we take a drop of sugar syrup and touch between the fingers, it should form a thick one string. This is the correct consistency. Now add the grated cocunut and mix it well. To this burfi mixture add cardamom powder. We can also add a tablespoon of milk to the when the sugar dissolved that will bring out the dirt out of the sugar. This is another trick to get a nice and white burfi at the end.
- Stir the burfi mixture continuously by keeping the flame low to avoid sticking in the pan. When the burfi mixture starts to leave the sides of the pan without sticking and when we stir at this stage, a foam will be formed and the mixture will roll like a ball. This is the correct stage to remove the burfi mixture out of the flame. Be alert at this stage to switch off the flame otherwise the mixture will be overcooked and gets powdered.
- Pour the burfi mixture in the greasy tray. Allow the burfi mixture to cool off a little and then Make diamond shape / cube pieces of coconut burfi using knife. Take the pieces when the mixture cools off completely and take it in a box and cover it with a lid
- The yummy cocunut burfi is ready to serve.
Note : Cocunut Burfi tastes very well only when you prepare it using the fresh cocunut (not the grated cocunut that you get it in the indian shops.). Try to get the fresh cocunut and grate it using the grating plate.
Also by mistake if you overcook the burfi and it gets powdered, nothing to worry. Keep the burfi again the flame and sprinkle some water and again mix the mixture well and pour it in greasy plate and make diamond shape pieces.
(Visited 9,128 times, 1 visits today)