Vegetable Oats Pongal
Oats Pongal is a dietary substitution for the traditional rice pongal. Oats which are rich in fiber are becoming one of the mandatory ingredient in every kitchen as it is very healthy and helps in reducing cholesterol content so instead of consuming traditional rice, we all need to slowly switch to Oats and other healthy ingredients. With Oats we can make many different dishes and Oats pongal is one such variety. The taste is extraordinarily good and I personally feel this is more delicious than our traditional Venn Pongal.
|Vegetable Oats Pongal|
|Preparation Time||10 mins|
|Cooking Time||20 mins|
|Moong dal||1/2 Cup|
|Carrot||1 medium size|
|Potato||1 medium size|
|Cumin Seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Grated Ginger||1/2 teaspoon|
- Heat a pan and dry roast moong dal till it becomes golden brown color. Take this out and add oats and fry them for 5 minutes and then remove the fried oats and keep it aside
- Wash, Peel and chop finely carrot and potato. Add cooked or frozen peas and keep it ready. Chop the green chillies and keep it ready with grated ginger and curry leaves
- In a vessel take the fried moong dal and add water till it is soaked and pressure cook them for 2-3 whistles. Once the dal is cooked, take it out from cooker and mash it nicely
- Take the cumin seeds and pepper in a mixer and grind it to a coarse powder
- Heat 1 teaspoon of ghee in a pan and add broken cashews. Fry them till they turn golden brown color and then remove from pan and keep it ready. Add rest of ghee and add the coarsely ground pepper-cumin powder and fry them in medium flame till the peppers starts to sputter
- Add chopped green chillies, grated ginger and curry leaves and fry for 10 seconds. To this add chopped vegetables and stir fry them for another 10 seconds
- Add 1/2 cup of water to cook the vegetables. When the vegetables are cooked and the water is fully evaporated, add 3 cups of water and add salt. When the water starts to boil, slowly add the fried oats.
- Stir continuously to avoid any lumps and keep the flame in medium and allow the oats to completely cook in water. The oats will cook very quickly.
- Finally add the mashed moong dal to the cooked oats. Mix well the dal and keep in flame for another 2 minutes and then remove from flame
- Now the scrumptious Oats pongal is ready to serve. Serve hot with Coconut chutney. We can also make plain Oats pongal or instead of vegetables we can make Spinach Oats pongal.
|Vegetable Oats Pongal|
(Visited 1,093 times, 2 visits today)