Another variety of spicy vadam/vathal. We can use this vadam dough to make ommapodi or thenkuzhal vadam. Ommapodi or thenkuzhal vadam is a spicy and crunchy treat for any Indian Rice Varieties.
Prep Time2 hrs
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time3 hrs
Servings: 500 gms
- 3 Cups Raw Rice
- 1/2 Cup Javvarasi (Sago / Sabudana)
- 8 Green Chili
- Salt As Needed
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (Asafetida / Hing)
- 7 Cups Water
Soak the raw rice in water for 2 hours. Heat 1 cup of water and when it comes boil, add it to the bowl having Sago(Javvarasi) and close the bowl.
After hours, rinse the rice and strain the water and grind it in grinder or mixer to a nice paste. Add the Sago to the mixer and grind it to smooth paste
Grind the green chillies, salt and hing to a nice paste . Take heavy bottomed pan or cooker. Heat 7 Cups of water and when it starts to boil, Add the rice+sago batter and stir well
Now add the green chilli-salt-hing paste and stir well. Batter should become thick as well as cooked well. If needed, we can add the hot water slowly to cook the batter. We need to stir the batter well so that it gets tighten up and becomes thicker .
When the batter is cooked well, switch off the flame. Cool off the batter and we can start making vadams. Take a clean white towel and place it in hot sun and take ommapodi mould and thenkuzhal mould. Add 1 handfull of batter to the press and press it to make ommadpodi and thenkuzhal vadam
Let the vadam dry in sun. Allow it to dry for 1 day. After the vadams are dried completely, we can store it in a tight container and fry it when we require
Crunchy & spicy Ommapodi & Thenkuzhal vadam ready!
- Adjust the amount of water if needed. Its always a good choice to reserve some hot water. If the prepared batter is too thick then add the hot water and mix it well.
- If you find difficult is squeezing the madam mixture through the murukku press, then add little hot water mix again.Then fill it in murukku press and press it.
- Add lemon juice if you like some tanginess in the vadam mixture
Serving: 1Cup | Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 80mg