Brinjal Gotsu Recipe | Kathirikkai Gotsu Recipe | Venn Pongal Gotsu Recipe
Gotsu a traditional and delicious side dish for venn pongal. Pongal with gotsu is one of the popular SouthIndian Breakfast. We can make gotsu with mixed vegetables. But Brinjal gotsu (Kathirikkai Gotsu / Venn Pongal Gotsu) is the traditional gotsu variety.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 3 Brinjal
- 1/4 Cup Moong Dal
- 12-15 Shallots / Baby Onions
- 1 Tomato
- 2 Green Chili
- 1/2 Cup Tamarind Extract
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt As Needed
- Coriander Leaves For Garnishing
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Split Bengal Gram (Channa Dal / Kadalaparuppu)
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 Red Chili
- 1/4 tsp Peppercorns
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Few Curry Leaves
Wash and chop the brinjals and soak it in water to prevent de-colourisation. Peel the shallots and chop tomatoes and keep it aside. Slit the green chillies
Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan, add grinding ingredients and fry them till they turn golden brown color.
Cool it off and take it to a mixer jar. Grind it to a nice powder and set it aside
Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and allow it to sputter. Add cumin seeds and allow it to sputter. Then add few curry leaves and saute for few seconds
Then add the peeled shallots and saute in oil for couple of minutes. Then add the chopped tomatoes and saute along with shallots
Then add chopped brinjals. Add little water and turmeric powder and mix everything well. Add tamarind extract along with salt and mix well.
Add the spice powder and give a good mix. Heat a cooker. Add moong dal and turmeric powder
Add the brinjal mixture to the cooker and mix everything well. Close the cooker and allow it for 3-4 whistles. When the pressure is fully released, remove the lid, stir well. Finally garish with coriander leaves
Serve the delectable Brinjal Gotsu (Kathirikkai Gotsu) with pongal, Idli or Dosa and enjoy the Gotsu!
- Mostly Gotsu are little watery in consistency but we can make it thick also. So adjust the consistency as per your needs
- Always soak the sliced/chopped Brinjal in water till you cook that will prevent de-colorization.
- Instead of cooking in pressure cooker method, you can also cook in the table top. But for this method you should cook the dal separately and add it to Gotsu mixture.
Serving: 0.5Cup | Calories: 157kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 11g | Fiber: 5g