Tendli Rice | Ivy Gourd Rice | Kovakkai Rice
Tendli or Tondli is Ivy Gourd in Marathi. This Tendli rice is a tasty and aroma rich masala rice with Ivy Gourd. A flavorful combination of rice with Tindora or Ivy Gourd.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 1 Cup Raw Rice We can use Basmati or Sona Masoori
- 1 Onion Finely Sliced
- 200 gms Ivy Gourd Sliced
- Salt As Needed
- 1 tbsp Goda Masala I have used Store bought
- Coriander Leaves For Garnishing
- 1 tsp Grated Coconut For Garnishing
- 1.5 Cups Water
- 3 tbsp Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 2 Cloves
- 1" Cinnamon
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- a Pinch Asafoetida (Asafetida / Hing)
- 2 Green Chili Finely Chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger Finely Chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic Finely Chopped
- Few Curry Leaves
Wash the rice thoroughly and soak in fresh water for 15 mins
Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. When the ghee is hot, throw in whole masalas (cinnamon, cloves, bayleaf, Cardamom & Peppercorns).
Then add Mustard, cumin seeds and hing and allow it to crackle
Next, we need to add chopped green chili ,ginger, garlic and few curry leaves and sauté for a minute
Now, add the sliced onions and sauté the onions till translucent. We can add a pinch of salt while sautéing onions that will bring out the moisture and cook the onions evenly
Once the onions turn translucent, add goda masala and sauté for a minute. Then add ivy gourd and sauté for couple of minutes
Then drain water from the rice and add rice to the cooker and mix very gently without breaking the rice. Now add 1.5 cups of hot water. Its good to heat the water and add hot water that will speed up the cooking. Add necessary salt and give a good mix
Let the water boil for 2-3 minutes. Then close the pressure cooker with the lid. Do not put the whistle. Just cover the whistle nozzle with a cup or bowl and keep the flame low and cook for 8 minutes. Switch off the flame once done
Let the pressure gets released naturally. Open the pressure cooker and garnish the Tendli Rice with Coriander leaves and grated coconut and serve hot!
Serve the Yummy Tendli Rice with Raita of your choice!
- Conventionally Goda masala is used, but we can simply use Garam Masala too
- You can also add other vegetables like potato
- We can get Goda masala at stores or we can make it at home.
- Vegans can use oil instead of ghee
- We can add 1 tbsp of curd or 1/2 tomato if u like a little tangy taste in the rice.
Calories: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g