Brinji Rice Recipe | Vegetable Brinji Rice Recipe
Brinji Rice, an aroma rich with healthy veggies. The flavour of bayleaf along with other masala ingredients gives this rice a rich flavour. A perfect dish for parties.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 1 Cup Rice Basmati Rice will be good
- 1 Onion Thinly Sliced
- 1 Cup Mixed Vegetables (Carrot, Beans, Potato & Peas)
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Milk
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 7-8 Mint Leaves
- Coriander Leaves For Garnishing
- 1.5 tsp Salt As Needed
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Green Chili
- 1 tsp Ginger Chopped
- 3 tbsp Butter We can use Oil Instead of Butter
- 1" Piece Cinnamon
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Cardamom
- 4 Bay Leaf
Wash and soak the Basmati Rice in water and set it aside for 15 mins
Take the grinding ingredients to the mixer jar and grind it to a paste and set it aside
Heat butter or oil in pan. Butter gives a nice flavour. If you are calorie specific, you can use cooking oil or olive oil. Add cinnanon, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf and saute for a minute. Then add sliced onions and saute it well
To the pan, add ground spice paste and saute along with onions till the onions turn translucent. Then, add chopped veggies and stir-fry for a minute.
After 15 mins, drain water from rice and add it to the pan and saute it for few seconds. Add coconut milk and water and stir well. Add salt and mix well. Mint leaves are optional. I have not used it as mint leaves smell will dominate my other masala. If you prefer, you wash the mint leaves and add it in this stage
Take it to pressure cooker or rice cooker. I used rice cooker which is very safe for not making the rice mushy. You can also use normal pressure cooker and allow for 2 whistles. Or you could just cover the pan with a lid and cook till the rice is soft. When the rice fluffy, mix gently once and garnish with coriander leaves
Serve the aroma rich Brinji Rice with your favourite Raitha and enjoy the dish!
- Basmati rice would be better choice, but we can use raw rice like Sona masoori too
- We can use a tablespoon of Ginger-garlic paste instead of chopped garlic and ginger
- You can also add along with the grounded masala to enhance the flavor
- If coconut milk is not available, you can use the milk as well.
- Optionally you can add the fried bread on top of it before serving.
Calories: 323kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 4g