Lemon Rice Recipe | Quick and Easy South Indian Rice
Lemon Rice is a staple food in South Indian Kitchen. It's one of the best travel friendly and even a Lunch box recipe. Takes only 10 minutes to make Lemon rice if we have the rice ready. Let's learn how to make Lemon rice with step by step pictures and a video recipe
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 2 people
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Cup Cooked Rice 1 Cup - 250ml
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt As Needed
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek Powder
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Split Urad Dal
- 2 tsp Split Bengal Gram (Channa Dal / Kadalaparuppu)
- 1 tbsp Peanuts
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida (Asafetida / Hing)
- Few Curry Leaves
- 2 Green Chili
- 1 Red Chili
Cut the lemon in halves and squeeze the lemon and extract the juice and add the salt and keep it aside
Spread the cooked rice in a broad plate and allow it to cool it off.
In a heavy bottomed pan, add the the gingelly oil and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begins to sputter add the split urid dal, channa dhal, peanuts and hing and fry for a while till the dhal changes its color to red.
Now add the chopped green chilli and then add the turmeric powder and remove from flame. To this add the cooked rice, salt and fenugreek powder and stir the rice gently to avoid mashing of rice.
Finally add the lemon extract and adjust the salt and gently mix the rice
The yummy lemon rice is ready to serve with appalam/ papad or vadam
- We can use any rice to make Lemon rice - Sona Masoori, Ponni Arisi and even Basmati Rice.
- You can add chopped ginger as well.
- We can make Lemon rice using Left over rice as well
- You can optionally add grated carrot. This will make the rice more colorful and nutritious.
- The quantity of the Lemon required to make lemon rice depends on the tanginess of the lemon. Taste the rice and adjust the lemon. Usually the tanginess will be high in the beginning. Once it settled down, the tanginess will be reduced
- We can dry roast 1/4 Teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds, 2 red chili and grind it and add it for spice.
- We can also add masala while tempering that makes this more masala based Lemon Rice
Serving: 1g | Calories: 300kcal | Carbohydrates: 94g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 20g